1. Company background
Export Development Fund (EDF) is as a development financial institution (DFI) whose objective is to increase the productive capacity of the country through provision of finance, guarantees, equity participation and advisory service. EDF aims to ensure that Malawi’s vast export potential and business opportunities are exploited in order to generate foreign exchange for the country. A focus on non-traditional export is emphasized, with preference given not only to projects that promote export earnings, but also those that create opportunities for import substitution, agricultural diversification, and utilization of locally available raw materials.
2. Job Description:
The position holder will be required to draw up the annual business and marketing plans and lead the implementation of the plans for the achievement of the Fund’s objectives in these areas. The position holder will also be required to supervise Business Development Division and identify the Fund’s core customers and draw up client management plans for the purpose of maximizing cross selling of the Fund’s products and services.
- Manages a portfolio of clients with deliberate cultivation based on proactive individualized plans. These plans would be developed in coordination with the product teams and should be designed to increase client engagement.
- Ensures the Fund is customer centric and provides an impeccable client service to each client. This includes timely turn around in terms of responses to client inquiries;
- Producing call reports and file notes after any client meetings, summarising any additional actions required, including follow-up calls and reviewing call reports produced by team members;
- Sales activity planning, including reviewing existing customer files including financially distressed exporter institutions to identify investments opportunities;
- Undertaking commercial negotiations;
- Managing new business pitches;
- Preparation of an annual business and marketing plans derived from the Fund’s strategic plan for Management’s approval;
- Leading implementation of marketing plans as approved by the Fund and actively securing mandates and business in the country;
- Implementing strategies for entering various segments of the trade finance market and long term funding opportunities in the country
- Leads Business Development team members to accomplish functional goals to ensure high level client service. This includes coaching team members;
- Generate bankable leads through anticipating customer needs and finding out what information, products or services the customer requires to meet their needs, providing clear, accurate and relevant information;
- Maintaining and improving the Fund’s image and performing any other duties as may be assigned by Management from time to time.
4. Qualification and skill
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Banking or Finance from a recognized University or a recognized post graduate professional qualification in Banking;
- Ability to interact with senior officials of banks, corporates and governments and to represent the Fund in important professional fora where oral presentation of papers will be necessary to high level technical and professional audiences;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including ability to organize and manage human resources to attain goals.
- Sound experience of at least 10 years of investment/corporate banking with a leading financial services organization and familiarity with the major trade finance products to be offered to clients especially syndication, co-financing, club deals, correspondent banking products including letters of credit, factoring, forfaiting, structured trade finance, carbon financing, corporate finance risk participations, project-related financing and considerable knowledge of how these work;
5. Contractual information
This is a senior position as such successful candidate shall be offered a performance related contract with an attractive salary and benefits packages. Qualified candidates should submit their applications together with detailed CV and names of 3 traceable referees by Friday 6th April 2018 to:
The Managing Director,
Export Development Fund,
First Floor, Pamodzi House, Presidential Way Drive,
P O box 30063,
The applications must be clearly marked “Application for the post of Head of Business Development”.
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged and invited for interviews.